This course will show you the basics of how to weave on a simple frame loom and progress to teaching you to use the versatile yet easily mastered ‘rigid heddle’ loom. These looms can be used to make many things yet do not take up much room in your home and can be easily stored.
The course is led by tutor Janet Renouf-Miller. Janet works from home in South West Scotland, earning a living by writing and teaching spinning and weaving. Spinning or weaving for at least ten minutes a day helps keep her calm and focused and she uses it as a form of meditation.
She is a registered teacher with the Association of Weavers Spinners and Dyers and has taught at their renowned Summer School. Janet has also taught courses for many spinning and weaving Guilds, community groups, shops and voluntary organisations.
Her booklets on spinning, dyeing and knitting have proved popular with students who take her courses and this in turn led to the publication of two books. She loves low-tech and sustainable craft equipment such as handmade looms and spindles, as well as the amazing contemporary spinning wheels and looms that are now available.
She and her husband Lee run their home-based business Create With Fibre jointly and sell Lee’s hand made looms, as well as Ashford Handicrafts spinning and weaving equipment on their website, along with Janet’s books.
Through a combination of 36 easy to follow videos filmed by Piotr Karter at Inlight Media and 12 comprehensive supporting pdf texts, experienced course tutor Janet Renouf-Miller of Create With Fibre will guide you through the weaving process from start to finish.
- Meet your tutor
- Weaving on a simple frame loom
- The Dinky Loom
- How to change colour
- Changing to a smaller needle
- Finishing on a Dinky Loom
- The Midi Loom
- Starting to weave on the Midi Loom
- Adding texture to the weaving
- Finishing with a straight edge
- Scarf Looms
- Warping a Scarf Loom
- Weaving on a Scarf Loom
- How to fix the warp if it comes off the pins
- Finishing on a Scarf Loom
- The fringe
- Taking the scarf off the loom
- Trimming the fringe
- Rigid Heddle Looms
- Warping the loom
- Warping up a Rigid Heddle Loom and removing the peg
- Winding the warp onto the loom
- The weaving position
- Threading the holes
- Tie the groups of threads onto the loom
- Tension and secure the threads
- Weaving the header
- Basic weaving, edge control and having fun with texture
- Starting to weave
- How to add texture
- Wonky weaving and more colours
- Working with more than one colour
- How to change colour
- Finishing the weaving
- Cutting the weaving off the loom
- How to twist the fringe
- Dealing with the ends
- What to do if a warp thread breaks
- Repairing and finishing the weaving
- How to do hemstitching
- Finish weaving with hem stitching
- Further resources and examples of woven items
After purchasing, we will be in touch via email and issue you with your personal link to access the course.
This course is best viewed via a computer rather than a mobile phone or tablet. You will also require Adobe Acrobat or similar in order to view the pdf text elements.
This course is taught online