This online workshop is for those who are completely new to natural dyeing, as well as those who have experimented a little with natural dyeing at home who want to know and understand more about the process.
In this 4 hour workshop, I will take you step-by-step through the entire process in an easy to understand way so that, after the workshop, you will be able to enjoy experimenting with natural dyeing confidently and safely.
We will start with some easy natural dyes using wool or yarn - but will also cover the adaptations needed for the natural dyeing process if you prefer to use non-animal yarns from plants such as hemp, flax, ramie, and cotton.
In the natural dye process we will cover these basic techniques:
Preparing fibres - including cleaning raw fleece
Applying mordants before dyeing
Foraging and sourcing dyes materials
Preparing dye materials
Making a dye bath using dye materials to extract the colours
Dyeing fibres in the dye bath
Using modifiers to create shades of colours as well as completely different colours!
We will work through the process step by step, paying special attention to how we can work safely with mordants and foraged dye materials or those acquired from sources such as the kitchen.
This is a 'watch-a-long' workshop where the process will be taught, demonstrated and your questions answered while you watch, take notes, and ask questions live.
This is the best way to learn this process, rather than trying to 'dye-a-long' as the workshop is taught. Please see the 'What's Included' below to see the support offered for after attending the workshop :)
Please contact me to ask any questions which you may have.
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 2 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
4 Hours of teaching & answering questions - live! - which is split as follows:
* Two 1.5 hour sessions with a short 'comfort break', plus 60 minutes of Q&A time split into 15 minute sessions at regular intervals during the workshop so all your questions can be answered.
* PDF illustrated workbook for you to download, add your own notes to, and keep for future reference.
* Links in the PDF are included to suppliers for mordants and dried/powdered dyestuffs eg powdered madder root.
* After-workshop support within my dedicated Facebook group just for attendees of my online natural dye workshops - ask me questions, show us your dyed fibres, and get help with troubleshooting fibre dyeing issues.
* Access to the video replays from the sessions and Q&A.
* Computer, laptop, or tablet - a mobile phone would be ok but the screen may be a bit small to be able to see some of the teaching session (ideal for popping onto the FB support group afterwards though!)
* Good stable internet connection
* Zoom app - teaching will be via group zoom call. You'll the opportunity to learn from everyone else's questions and to interact with others during the workshop
* Privacy - it is not required that you have your video turned on, or that you speak if you would rather not do so in the recordings. You can turn your video and microphone off when entering the call and you can still ask questions by typing in the chat so that I can answer any queries which you have.
* Access to the Facebook group for workshop attendees only (If you are not a Facebook user, you could consider setting up a profile just for the support group aspect after the workshop)
* A passion for learning all about creating wonderful colours, tones, and shades of naturally dyed fibres!
This course is taught online
4 hours (9:00am to 1:00pm)
This craft course provider has been awarded Platinum status for receiving 50 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.
4 hours (9:00am to 1:00pm)
The course doesn’t currently have live datesContact the tutor for more information
I just did this workshop with Sally. It was fantastic. Everything and more that I could have hoped for. Well organised, very informative and good fun. The setting is excellent, plenty of parking, clean loo and covid safe. I can’t recommend this highly enough. I will be back for more! Thank you Sally for a brilliant day :)
Response from Craft Workshops:Thank you Antje - it was great to meet you and I'm really pleased you enjoyed the day. Look forward to seeing you again in the workshop :)
Just attended this day. Well planned and informative day. Lots of opportunities to be hands on. Came away with 100g of dyed wool and lots of infirmation.
Sally put a huge amount of effort into the preparation of the dyes, so we had lots of opportunities to try different ones. Well worth it.
Response from Craft Workshops:Thank you Barbara - so pleased you found this workshop so worthwhile. Look forward to seeing you in the workshop again soon :)
Really enjoyed the day with Sally and Sharon on Saturday. It was was well organised, informative and I came home with some gorgeous samples..no one can quite believe the colour you get from avocados!
I thoroughly recommend the course...it's so great to learn something new from those in the know.
Response from Craft Workshops:Thank you Jenny for your review - it was lovely to meet you and hopefully will see you again in the workshop in the future :)