Glass fusing is the art of melting glass using a kiln.
We will be exploring this, learning how to fuse pieces of glass, frit and enamel powder on to a piece of base glass to create a glossy glass surface.
You do not need any experience to book a place on the workshop and will be experimenting with simple techniques to create a small picture, coaster, hanging or piece of jewellery. You will learn the basics of glass fusing in a step by step manner.
In the workshop you will learn techniques such as stencilling, sgruffito and use of frit. We will cover all aspects of the fusing process, from health and safety, preparation of the glass and cutting glass to use in your piece, to applying different types of frit/enamel/shards of glass (Transparent and Opaque), and using decorative media such as millefiori, frit, copper wire and glass threads.
You will create a small fused glass picture, hanging, coaster or piece of jewellery that you are able to collect 2 days later, after your piece has fused in the kiln. I am also able to post the piece to your home for the postage costs.
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 2 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
- Clear sheet glass as a base, that you will be able to make into a picture, hanging, coaster or piece of jewellery. A small variety of shapes will be available however if you would like to work on a specific shape or size then please contact Melissa before the workshop.
- Use of all tools and equipment e.g. glass cutters, kiln, enamel powders in a range of colours, decorative media etc.
- Tea, coffee and biscuits to keep us going! Maybe even cake if you are lucky...
- Tuition on glass fusing with Melissa Keskinkilinc, a qualified teacher with many years of teaching experience.
- Information about retailers for equipment and supplies if you would like to continue to explore fusing after the workshop!
This craft course provider has been awarded Gold status for receiving 10 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.