About the Course
This taster course will introduce you to the tips and tricks to make those mis-fitting and tired pieces of clothing come to life. You will be able to build on your existing knowledge and develop your fitting and sewing skills. This course is suitable for you if you want to make simple adjustments to the clothes in your wardrobe or alter clothes for friend and family. As there is limited time on this course, it is advised not to bring tailored coats and jackets. During the course, you will work at your own pace together with students of different levels, you will share and benefit from each-others experiences. You need intermediate level sewing skills to benefit ,this course is not suitable for Beginners. This course runs on 2 consecutive days Saturday and Sunday
By the end of the course you will be able to
· to analyse the fit of a garment
· to apply appropriate fitting adjustments
· to prepare garments for alteration
· to use appropriate sewing techniques
· to customize/update pieces of clothing
· to solve problems and develop independent thinking
Class format and activities
Teaching is both as a whole class and on an individual, one-to-one basis using lectures, demonstrations, examples, samples, handouts and any other technical support materials where appropriate.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
You must have intermediate level skills to benefit from this course. This course is not suitable for beginners.
Before you enrol, you must have achieved the following:
• Understand what a grainline is and how to use it
• Understand what a notch is and how to use them
• Know what a layplan is and understand how to cut on fold
• Be able to thread up and use a sewing machine
• Be able to construct garments to a good standard, including sewing darts and setting sleeves and collars
• No previous pattern cutting experience is needed
• Students must be able to read, write and understand fluent English
• Mathematics and numeracy skills are essential
What you need to know before you enrol
• Working on patterns and cutting fabric can involve standing at high tables. Please let your tutor know if this is difficult for you.
• Sewing machines have a foot operated speed control.
• The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building and there is wheelchair access via a stair-lift.
• Please also note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios – no liquids at all are allowed.
What you will need for your class
What do I need to bring with me to class?
· a basic sewing kit: fabric scissors, sharp trimming scissors, dressmaker’s pins, tape measure, dressmaker’s tracing wheel, dressmaker’s carbon paper
· a selection of hand sewing needles, sewing threads
· 2m x 15mm wide cotton tape
· notepad and pens, pencils, sharpener and eraser
· Garments for alteration, skirt, trouser, tops and day dresses, due to the length of the course and limited timings, please do not bring outerwear garments to the course.
· you must provide your own haberdashery, threads, etc. for use on your projects but this will be discussed during the first lesson
· paper and card are available for use in the classroom
· calico for toiling is available at cost price from your tutor
· you will need to purchase a sewing machine bobbin from your tutor for £1 refundable at the end of the course
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.