Fashion Design - Morley College - 11 Weeks On Campus
Contact course provider
About the Course
If you love clothes and have always wanted to develop your Fashion Design sense, this is a good place to start. Learn how to research and develop design ideas, draw inspiration from a range of influences and use a wide variety of materials and media to produce individual and original 2D work. You will be encouraged to think about Fashion in a fresh way and explore the use of shape, colour, texture, proportion, etc.
You can choose to design Menswear or Womenswear.
This course is suitable for beginners and those with some previous experience. This course will benefit you whether you are in further or higher education hoping to work as a designer running your own business or if you simply want to learn how to create Fashion design sketches for fun. You will learn about the world of the fashion designer the design process and be guided through the basic stages involved in designing a small themed capsule collection. The course focuses on the 2 Dimensional creative stages: developing fashion ideas from research and concept using sketch books mood and design boards design sketches. You can then go on to explore the 3 dimensional aspects by taking one of our Pattern Cutting and Clothes Making courses listed at the bottom of this page
By the end of the course you will be able to:
• to develop your own designs
• to use fashion drawing skills
• to create attractive layouts in your research, mood board and design presentation
• to select a suitable colour palette for your designs
• to produce a capsule collection of design sketches & technical drawings
This course is suitable for both beginners and those with some previous experience All are welcome.
• No previous experience is necessary
• Students must be able to speak, read and write in English
• Enthusiasm and interest in the subject is essential
What you need to know before you enrol:
The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building and there is wheelchair access via a stair-lift.
Please note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios - no liquids at all are allowed.
What you will need for your class:
• HB pencil or mechanical/propelling pencil
• Pritt stick
• Blu tack
• A3 sketch book
• A3 plastic transparent art file (to carry your work in )
• A4 envelope file (to organise research in.)
• watercolours and watercolour brushes
• notepad and pen
• Fineliner fibre tip pens (0.1 & 0.5 nibs)
• Magazines Fashion e.g: Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Pop, Glamour, Elle, ID, Dazed, Love
• Other equipment you may wish to purchase will be discussed in the 1st lesson
What you can do next
We run a variety of design courses as well as other courses which might be of interest, including clothes making and pattern cutting. You might want to try one of the following:
• Fashion Drawing and Portfolio Preparation
• Fashion History: The Evolution of Style
• Pattern Cutting: Beginners
• Clothes Making: Beginners
• Creative Pattern Cutting Draping on the Stand
Follow the link to Morley College for details of:
• Course times
• Concession & Senior fees where available
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
You will be able to develop your skills by engaging with suitable projects determined by your existing level of development in discussion with the tutor. Teaching is both as a whole class and an individual, one-to-one basis using demonstrations, discussion, examples, samples, handouts and other technical support material where appropriate. You will be able to negotiate individual learning goals with the tutor.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.