About the Course
Explore key social, cultural and revolutionary moments in fashion history over the last century.
Who is this course for
This course is for those who are keen to explore key social, cultural, and revolutionary moments in Fashion history and theory over the 10 decades of western fashion from the Edwardian era to the present day. You will learn how men's and women's styles have evolved in response to these changes and also how Haute Couture fashion developed through most of the 20th century; about music such as jazz, rock and roll, disco, hip hop and pop have evolved and inspired fashion styles; how film influences fashion. If you have a keen interest of clothes and culture then this course is for you.
What does this course cover
This short course is an introduction to Fashion History and will focus on:
- At the start of the century Art Nouveau, following on from the crafts movement, heralded the mood of change from an old world to a modern era.
- La Belle poque captures the mood in that indefinable time of beautiful dress and luxury living in the two decades before WW1
- The 'Flapper' of the 1920's to the 'Stylish Thirties'
- The austere era of Utility clothing of the 1940s to the post-war romance of Dior's New Look
- Hollywood Glamour, Pret-a-Porter and Rock and Roll.
- The upsurge of youth culture and the legacy of street style
- Visits to museum collections
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Develop your research and communicate what you learn with friends and peers
- Increased your knowledge and find out more on the subject
- Source and visit other exhibitions and galleries
Mary Ward Centre is an adult education centre with a difference. We provide a wide range of subjects for people at all levels and run courses during the day, evening or weekend to suit your timetable. Get inspired and enjoy excellent teaching in an environment where each individual’s learning experience is valued. That’s what makes Mary Ward Centre ‘the friendly place to learn.’
Please get in touch for more details and to book your place!
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
This craft course provider has been awarded Silver status for receiving 5 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.