Drawing with stitch using a sewing machine workshop is suitable for someone who can confidently thread up a sewing machine and sew but they don't have to be good at drawing,
You will learn and explore the technique of drawing with your sewing machine using free-motion embroidery.
Carol will be on hand to give you plenty of help and support to begin your own textile art piece of work with the theme of interesting local historical or modern Welsh urban buildings and landscapes
Experiment with stitching on various fabrics and use of solu-fleece.
Through the two-day class all participants will:
• Draw with stitch using a sewing machine.
• View samples of Carol's stitched art and a short chat about her techniques
• Explore drawing with your sewing machine using free-motion embroidery.
• Experiment with stitching on various fabrics and use of solu-fleece.
• Apply and collage using bondaweb and fabric glue.
• Try out painting on fabrics.
• Receive plenty of help and support to begin your own textile art piece of work with the theme of interesting local historical or modern Welsh urban buildings and landscapes.
• Realise your creative intention
It's a fun workshop and suitable for students who are confident at threading up frequently and keen to make their sewing more creative!
Carol is a travelling textile artist and illustrator, currently based in the seaside town of Penarth, just outside Cardiff.
She is a keen member of the Urban Sketchers group, a global community of artists who draw on location. And loves to record her daily life through sketches and watercolours, usually from working in her trusty converted van.
Her work combines collage applique, free-motion, and hand embroidery techniques to create textile art.
Each piece is designed to tell a story about the people, landscapes, and scenes included in the subject material.
Where possible, she enjoys incorporating vintage fabrics sourced from her local town.
Carol paints original watercolours combined with stitched art, as well as teaching freelance.
To learn more about the kind of work Carol is constantly making feel free to follow her on Instagram www.instagram.com/carolbartlettart/?hl=en www.facebook.com/carol.bartlett.5011 or explore her website at www.carolbartlett.co.uk/
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 2 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
Things Carol will provide at no extra charge,
* Use of light boxes, a lovely range of new and vintage fabrics, paints suitable for fabrics, a range of threads. Photographs of buildings we will use in the workshops and Masking tape.
Things a student needs to bring
* Own full size sewing machine with a darning foot attached and feed dogs removed
* 30 cm of bondaweb
*30 cm of Solufleece
*An eight inch wooden embroidery hoop
*An iron off pen or wash away pen.
Things Carol will bring to sell (if needed) in a workshop pack at £20 per student. Students must let her know ahead of the workshop if they want to buy a pack.
* Solufleece, bondaweb, an iron-off pen, an eight-inch wooden embroidery hoop, an iron- off pen.
5¼ hours (10:30am to 4:00pm)
5¼ hours (10:30am to 4:00pm)