Course Provider: Helen Izzard Designs
Contact Name: Helen Izzard
10 Bartletts Elm
Course Length: One Day
5 star rating, 2 reviewers.
This one day course is designed for people who would love to design & create their own furnishings. Students will learn the techniques involved, from measuring the window and working out fabric quantities, through to planning & designing & finally, creating your own individual lined or interlined curtains or roman blinds, or making different styles of cushions.
Roman blinds course content: we will cover the following aspects of making a roman blind:
1. Understanding the construction of a roman blind. Choosing the correct fabric and understanding the various fittings and design.
2. Fold calculations: understanding the implications and effects of different folds, and calculating the fold spacing
3. Measuring and cutting the fabric: understanding the importance of taking accurate window measurements and how to calculate fabric quantities
4. Assembling: making the blind and lining, rod pockets, bottom hems and mitre corners. Joining the lining and main fabric and attaching the top Velcro
5. Fixings: how to insert the rods and bottom weight bar, positioning and fixing the cord rings. Purchasing and understanding head rail options.
Curtain Design course content: we will cover the following aspects of making curtains:
1. Choosing appropriate fabrics and curtain styles for a professional window design
2. Measuring and Cutting: understanding the importance of accurate measurements, estimating quantities for main fabric and lining / interlinings, calculating
drops and widths, fullness, hem and turning allowances, cutting of fabric, working with pattern repeats and pattern placements
3. Assembling the curtains and lining: joining fabric widths and assembling the main fabric and lining, bottom and side hems, and perfect mitre corners.
4. Headings: Selecting and applying heading tapes.
Cushions: This course is ideal for those with some sewing skills who want to learn how to make their own professional looking cushions. Accuracy is very important when making beautiful cushions and in this workshop, you will make a piped scatter cushion and an envelope cushion cover. You will learn how to calculate fabrics, cut and join piping and insert zips. We will also discuss the various types of cushion styles and fillings that can be used.
I will discuss your project with you before the workshop and guide you with ordering fabric quantities and measuring the windows.
NEW Autumn 2017 date: 28th October 2017: To book your place, please pop over to the website or contact Helen directly.
Location: High Ham near Langport in Somerset
For more information or to secure your place, please click on the link to the website above, or get in touch with Helen via the contact form.
What's included in the price?
The course price includes a light lunch and plenty of tea and coffee.
Fern Saxon -
Sarah Ferris -
This craft course provider has been awarded Silver status for receiving 5 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.