Curtains, Blinds & Cushion Making Courses - One Day Workshops at Helen Izzard Designs
Contact course provider
About the Course
This one day course is designed for people who would love to design & create their own furnishings. Students will learn the techniques involved, from measuring the window and working out fabric quantities, through to planning & designing & finally, creating your own individual lined or interlined curtains or roman blinds, or making different styles of cushions.
Roman blinds course content: we will cover the following aspects of making a roman blind:
1. Understanding the construction of a roman blind. Choosing the correct fabric and understanding the various fittings and design.
2. Fold calculations: understanding the implications and effects of different folds, and calculating the fold spacing
3. Measuring and cutting the fabric: understanding the importance of taking accurate window measurements and how to calculate fabric quantities
4. Assembling: making the blind and lining, rod pockets, bottom hems and mitre corners. Joining the lining and main fabric and attaching the top Velcro
5. Fixings: how to insert the rods and bottom weight bar, positioning and fixing the cord rings. Purchasing and understanding head rail options.
Curtain Design course content: we will cover the following aspects of making curtains:
1. Choosing appropriate fabrics and curtain styles for a professional window design
2. Measuring and Cutting: understanding the importance of accurate measurements, estimating quantities for main fabric and lining / interlinings, calculating
drops and widths, fullness, hem and turning allowances, cutting of fabric, working with pattern repeats and pattern placements
3. Assembling the curtains and lining: joining fabric widths and assembling the main fabric and lining, bottom and side hems, and perfect mitre corners.
4. Headings: Selecting and applying heading tapes.
Cushions: This course is ideal for those with some sewing skills who want to learn how to make their own professional looking cushions. Accuracy is very important when making beautiful cushions and in this workshop, you will make a piped scatter cushion and an envelope cushion cover. You will learn how to calculate fabrics, cut and join piping and insert zips. We will also discuss the various types of cushion styles and fillings that can be used.
I will discuss your project with you before the workshop and guide you with ordering fabric quantities and measuring the windows.
To book your place, please pop over to the website or contact Helen directly.
For more information or to secure your place, please click on the link to the website above, or get in touch with Helen via the contact form.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Course fees include lunch and tea/coffee.
Location: High Ham near Langport in Somerset
Please note that I no longer hold these workshops at The Lilac Barn in Somerset.
Thank you so much Helen for such a great day . I have learnt so much and very proud of my roman blind.
Lovely lunch and cake too
I really liked the Class sizes being small, therefore the tuition was excellent
I’ve been to classes in the past with too many in the group and I’ve spent ages waiting for help to be able to move on
I can’t wait for the next one!!
Clare Willams - - #13070
I had a lovely day learning how to make an interlined Roman blind. I have made blinds and curtains before, but not interlined them, and my measuring and cutting was always a bit hit and miss! Helen gave me excellent tips on how make sure my projects really are made to measure. Thoroughly enjoyable, sociable and useful day. Thank you, Helen.
Louise Bray - - #11403
I recently took park in the curtain making course.
I am a complete novice but Helen reassured me and guided me through the process giving me the confidence to tackle my project.
I would highly recommend Helen’s workshop and I am looking forward to taking part in another workshop in the future.
Tessa Vice - - #11365
So delighted Iv have been on this course. A really good day and I feel it has really given me the confidence making more blinds for my home, and I actually feel I have learnt what I need to do. I look forward to attending other courses in the future with Helen to learn to make other items for my new home.
Fern Saxon - - #9597
Have just returned home from a really lovely day learning to make an interlined roman blind with Helen Izzard. I have come home feeling inspired to carry on making more blinds. Helen was so welcoming and a really genuine, lovely lady who guided us through each process individually and adapting it to each individuals requirements for their blind.
Helen has the great skill of teaching and encouraging at whatever level you are and was very supportive. I will most definitely return on a curtain making course and highly recommend Helen to anyone wishing to gain the skills needed to create their own curtains or blinds.
Sarah Ferris - - #9577
Review this course
Course Start DatesSaturday 15th September 2018
Saturday 10th November 2018
- Child friendly
- Disabled access
- Suitable for beginners
- Suitable for events & groups
- Suitable for stag and hen dos
- Teen friendly
This craft course provider has been awarded Gold status for receiving 10 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.