Creative Pattern Cutting Draping On The Stand - Morley College - 11 Weeks On Campus
Contact course provider
About the Course
Draping is an alternative method of pattern cutting, offering increased creativity and a different way to understand how 2D shapes translate into 3D garments. A garment or specific detail is created by working directly onto a mannequin. Draping is an important part of the design process, it is an extremely useful method to widen knowledge of design, shapes and proportions.
A different theme will be taught each term: Spring concentrating on tops and skirts and summer looking at dresses. Each term exists as a separate course and can be taken as such or you may wish to enrol on more than one to build your knowledge and skills to a more advanced level.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
• to identify the differences between stand sizes and body measurements
• to tape and prepare the stand for personal use
• to model fabrics on the stand to create shapes and styles for dresses
• to make patterns from modelled shapes
This is a Beginners Course. All are welcome.
• Suitable for people with limited or no previous experience
• Students must be able to speak, read and write in English
• Basic numeracy is an advantage though not essential
What you need to know before you enrol:
• Working on a dressmaker’s stand can involve standing for periods of time although it is possible to sit if this is a problem. Please discuss this with the tutor.
• Sewing machines have a foot operated speed control.
• The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building and there is wheelchair access via a stair-lift.
• Please also note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios – no liquids at all are allowed.
What you will need for your class
• a basic sewing kit: fabric scissors, trimming scissors, tape measure, dressmaker’s pins
• a tracing wheel and dressmaker’s carbon paper
• HB and H pencils
• pens and a notebook
• calico and other fabrics required to complete the exercises are available at cost price from your tutor
• paper and card are available for use in the studio
• you will need to purchase a sewing machine bobbin from your tutor for £1, refundable at the end of the course
What you can do next:
If this is your first term of the course, further terms of Draping on the Stand are advised as this will amount to a thorough foundation in the subject.
Once you have achieved a foundation of skills, we offer a wide range of further and specialist courses in garment construction and accessories.
You might want to try one of the following:
• The Bias Drape
• Draping Stretch Fabric
• Pattern Cutting: Beginners
• Clothes Making: Beginners
Follow the link to Morley College for details of:
• Course times
• Concession & Senior fees where available
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Initially you will complete a series of set projects appropriate to the theme of the term in order to become familiar with the general process of draping. There will be demonstrations of the draping method and teaching will be to the group and on an individual basis. You will then be able to work on a variety of projects or negotiate your own with the tutor, following the term’s theme.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.