WordPress is fast becoming the number one choice for free web and blog hosting. Work with media including pictures, sound and video and text, and your written words - managing your content to effectively target your audience. This intensive course will introduce you to the essential skills required to create an entirely free website/blog platform using the world's most popular Content Management System. User-friendly and fun, WordPress allows you to design and manage content in an intuitive way.
Class format and activities
The class will be taught online at a specific course time each week using MS Teams. You will learn via a mix of presentation, active learning exercises, assignments, demonstrations, hand-outs, step-by-step instructions, pair working and group discussion. One-to-one tuition will be given to help develop ideas and skills. There are many advantages to learning in an online environment - benefit from anytime-access to an archive of course materials, resources and links to help you with projects and assignments. Gain instant support and answers to questions via forums and receive one to one tutor and peer support. All Morley College students receive a generous discount on Adobe CC Software and a free Microsoft Office account with Email, MS Teams, Office Apps and much more!
Manageable project work will be assigned between and during classes to help you progress. The classes are informal and allow for question and answer sessions, technical advice and support depending on your needs. You will receive assessment and feedback on your progress. You will work as a class, in small break out groups, in pairs and one to one with your tutor. All course material will be instantly accessible via the learning platform and the sessions may be recorded so that you may return to them later. This will only be done with group consent. Learners will be encouraged to use the class forums to engage with each other during the class and to support each other with project work between classes if required.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
A keen interest in the subject is key to your success and the ability to attend the sessions regularly in order to get the most out of the course. As part of the course you will be asked to read material, take notes, listen to instructions and discuss related topics, therefore students should have a reasonable level of skill in speaking, reading and writing in English. This course can be taken alongside with any of our online digital design, film and photography courses and will help you to gain the confidence you need when working with digital tools for design and publication.
What you need to know before you enrol
It would be helpful if you have some familiarity with Macintosh and/or PC computers and know how to use standard menus and commands, however this is not an essential requirement as these skills can be picked up during the course. As this is a course primarily delivered on computers; students will be encouraged to be aware of fatigue and eye strain and take breaks when necessary. Your tutor will therefore build in project assignments, reconvening as a group to share the progress of work. Information about computers and the relevant software will be provided by the tutor.
If you will be redeeming a CraftCourses gift voucher on this course, the voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
By the end of the course you will be able to
• Set up and configure a free WordPress.com web site
• Add a pre-existing site template to WordPress.com
• Work with menus and create a user-friendly site navigation structure
• Create your first blog entry, posts and pages
• Organise your content using tags and categories
• Embed media elements such as YouTube, audio and image galleries
• Optimise your content so that it can easily be found by search engines
What you will need
Group Learning Software
• MS Teams (Easily downloadable as part of your free Office 365 account when you enrol)
• A modern Mac or PC computer no older than 4 years, with a built-in camera (or plug-in webcam) and microphone
• Headphones that plug in to your computer (this is sometimes helpful for optimum sound quality in class)
• Up to Date Mac OS (2017 or later) see HERE for more information on requirements
• Access to multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc)
• Access to a personal email address that is used and checked frequently
• Moodle (made available when you enrol)
• Word editing software (e.g. MS Word)