The expensive luxury of silk and lace has an enduring appeal but the construction of such garments can be a challenge to the most experienced clothes makers. This practical course will focus on classic techniques and finishes used on these types of garments and the opportunity to work with challenging fabrics traditionally used. You will be able to build on your existing knowledge and develop more advanced skills to produce garments to a high level and professional finish. This course is suitable for you if you want to make these garments for yourself, or if you want to earn a living producing these garments by running your own business or by working for a company.
You must have intermediate level skills to benefit from this course. Not suitable for beginners.
By the end of the course you will be able to
• to use advanced techniques and professional finishing skills
• to cut, sew and handle difficult fabric types
• to recognise fabric types and use appropriate supporting fabrics
• to produce and set of reference samples
• to solve problems and develop independent thinking
Class format and activities
This course is being run online via Microsoft Teams. Techniques will be demonstrated in videos that can be referenced at anytime. We will use both group online discussion and one to one video calls to discuss progress, ways to improve and troubleshooting for each technique. This practical course will take you through a series of couture techniques for these garments using challenging fabrics and trimmings. Teaching is both as a whole class and an individual, one-to-one basis using demonstrations, discussion, examples, samples, handouts and other technical support material where appropriate.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
You must have intermediate level clothes making skills and have used patterns in order to benefit from this class. Students should have completed at least 2 terms of Clothes Making: Beginner's or be able to demonstrate that they have successfully constructed and completed at least 3 garments from commercial patterns.
You should also have the following skills and experience:
• Students should understand what a grainline is and how to use it
• Students should understand what a notch is and how to use them
• Students should know what a layplan is and understand how to cut on fold
• Students must be able to thread up and use a sewing machine
• Students must be able to read, write and understand fluent English
• Mathematics and numeracy skills are essential
If you will be redeeming a CraftCourses gift voucher on this course, the voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What you will need
This course is held on-line. You will need:
• A recent computer (PC, laptop or tablet) with a recent operating system.
• An up-to-date web browser. (ideally with 2 separate web browsers e.g. Safari and Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome and Internet Explorer)
This course is very intensive; punctuality and good attendance are necessary to benefit. Cutting fabric can involve standing at high tables.
What you will need for your class
• A sewing machine
• You should have available a range of fine silk fabrics to practise your techniques on. Remnants are encouraged, typical fabrics would be- silk satin, silk organza and silk chiffon.
• A basic sewing kit: fabric scissors, sharp trimming scissors, dressmaker’s pins, tape measure
• A selection of hand sewing needles, sewing threads
• Notepad and pens, pencils, sharpener and eraser .