About the Course
Learn to cut, fit and construct beautiful couture garments in this practical workshop style course. You will be able to build on your existing knowledge and develop more advanced fitting, construction and couture finishing skills as you produce these beautiful garments., This course is suitable for you if you want to produce these garments for yourself, or you want to earn a living producing these garments by running your own business or by working for a company. You will be able to devise your own projects with the tutor dependent on your level of ability and to work through your own plan., During the course, you will work at your own pace you will share and benefit from each-others experiences., It is essential that you read the entry requirements carefully. You must answer yes to all questions to qualify for enrolment. You need to be able to work independently and must already have some experience sewing and making garments. This is an advanced level course.
By the end of the course you will be able to
to make toiles and garments and fit
to adjust/use commercial patterns
to use advanced fabric and trimmings
to use advanced construction and couture finishing skills
to solve problems and develop independent thinking
Class format and activities
You will be able to develop your skills by engaging with suitable projects determined by your existing level of development in discussion with the tutor. New students will discuss a pattern for their project with the tutor during the first lesson and buy and bring one to the second lesson. Returning students will be able to continue with their on-going project work. Teaching is both as a whole class and an individual, one-to-one basis using demonstrations, discussion, examples, samples, handouts and other technical support material where appropriate.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
Suitable if you have completed two or more intermediate level courses. You should be able to:
• adjust commercial patterns
• use an intermediate level of construction techniques and finishing
• Students must be able to solve intermediate construction problems independently
Before you enrol, you must have also achieved the following:
• Understand what a grainline is and how to use it
• Understand what a notch is and how to use them
• Know what a layplan is and understand how to cut on fold
• Be able to thread up and use a sewing machine
• Be able to construct garments to a good standard, including sewing darts and setting sleeves and collars.
• Students must be able to read, write and understand fluent English
• Mathematics and numeracy skills are essential
What you need to know before you enrol
Advanced students will be expected to work more independently.
• Working on patterns, cutting fabric and fitting can involve standing at high tables. Please let your tutor know if this is difficult for you.
• Sewing machines have a foot operated speed control.
• The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building and there is lift access.
• Please also note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios – bottled water is allowed.
What you will need for your class
• a sewing kit: fabric scissors, trimming scissors, tape measure,
• dressmaker’s pins and tailors chalk.
• tracing wheel and dressmaker’s carbon paper Scotch tape
• paper scissors
• pens, pencils, notebook, A4 ring binder
• you must provide your own patterns, fabrics, haberdashery, threads, etc. for use on your projects but the purchase of these will be discussed during the first lesson
• paper and card are available for use in the classroom
• calico for toiling is available from your tutor at cost price (£2.30 per metre medium weight and £2.00 per metre light weight)
• you will need to purchase a sewing machine bobbin from the tutor for £1, refundable at the end of the course
What you can do next:
Please enquire for recommendations on continuation courses where applicable.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.