About the Course
Learn the techniques required to produce stylish and contemporary hats for both men and women. Each term will focus on different materials and methods: felt in the autumn, straw and woven materials in spring and in summer, the development of patterns for both soft and structured hats will be in focus. Each course will cover a wide range of techniques to enable you to produce beautiful modern hats with a professional finish. Attendance on all three will provide a strong grounding in the core techniques of hat making. This is a structured course with an emphasis on design, creativity and use of materials and is suitable for anyone with an interest in the subject. No previous experience of hat making is necessary although it is useful to have sewing machine skills. Returning students may continue with their own projects.
By the end of the course you will be able to
to block and shape straw and a variety of other woven materials
to use your creativity to develop designs
to cut and use a variety of materials to develop your own trimmings
to use appropriate techniques and finishing methods to construct a hat to a professional standard
Class format and activities
After examining and discussing examples and samples, the tutor will demonstrate blocking and shaping straw, buckram and other woven materials, using appropriate stitches, construction and finishing techniques. Returning students will be able to continue with their own projects. Teaching will be in groups and on an individual, one-to-one basis.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
This is a Beginner's level course. All are welcome.
•Suitable for people with limited or no previous experience
• It is useful to have sewing machine skills
•Students must be able to speak, read and write in English
•Basic numeracy is an advantage though not essential
What you need to know before you enrol
• Using a steamer and cutting patterns and fabrics often involves standing at high tables. Please let your tutor know if this is difficult for you.
• Health & Safety information will be given to you at the start of the course and subsequent lessons where necessary. You may be asked to sign a form declaring that you agree to follow college procedures as advised.
• Some chemicals used may be harmful to certain health conditions or in pregnancy. Please make sure to let your tutor know if this is the case and they will advise you as to necessary precautions.
• Sewing machines have a foot operated speed control.
• You will be using tools under the direction of the tutor.
• The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building. There is wheelchair access via a stair-lift.
• Please also note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios – no liquids at all are allowed.
What you will need for your class
• a basic sewing kit: fabric scissors, small trimming scissors, tape measure, pins
• hand sewing needles, a variety of sewing threads, a thimble, tailor’s chalk
• paper cutting scissors
• a propelling pencil (the cheap ones are fine)
• an apron to protect your clothes
• A comprehensive list of suppliers will be given at the first lesson including where to purchase millinery materials.
• You must provide your own fabrics, trimmings, haberdashery, etc
• Pattern paper and card is available for use in the studio.
• You will need to purchase a machine bobbin from the tutor for £1, refundable at the end of the course.
What you can do next
If this is your first term of the course, further terms of Contemporary Millinery will lead to a thorough foundation in the subject. We also run a variety of other accessories and specialist courses.
You might want to try one of the following:
Professional Hat Making
Vintage Hats and Headpieces for Ascot, Goodwood and Parties
Designer Bags and Handbags
Costume Design and Making: Victorian and Edwardian
Clothes Making: Beginners
Pattern Cutting: Beginners
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.