About the Course
Trims and braids are often used purely as decoration on garments and accessories, but if you plan ahead, they can be turned into an integral part of the garment by making space for them. You will learn how to use your trims and braids in stunningly creative ways, making them a part of your garments and accessories as inserts, paneling and windows, rather than surface additions or edge finishes. This is the final course in our series of embellishment technique courses. Only basic sewing skills are required
By the end of the course you will be able to
to produce a range of samples using a variety of techniques
to apply these samples to garments
to develop your creativity
to experiment and further develop your skills
to customise a garment using one or more techniques
Class format and activities
You will produce a range of samples and explore how these can be used on garments, accessories, etc. Teaching is both to the whole class and on an individual, one-to-one basis using demonstrations, discussion, examples, samples, hand-outs and other technical support material where appropriate.
Constructive and supportive feedback from your tutor will help you succeed during the class.
This is a Beginners Course. All are welcome.
•Suitable for people with limited or no previous experience
•Students must be able to speak, read and write in English
•Basic numeracy is essential
•Basic sewing skills are essential
What you need to know before you enrol
• This course is very intensive; punctuality and good attendance are necessary.
• Cutting fabric can involve standing at high tables. Please let your tutor know if this is difficult for you.
• Sewing machines have a foot operated speed control.
• The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building and there is wheelchair access via a stair-lift.
• Please also note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios – no liquids at all are allowed.
What you will need for your class
• a basic sewing kit: fabric scissors, small trimming scissors, dressmaker’s pins, tape measure
• dressmaker’s tracing wheel, dressmaker’s carbon paper
• sewing thread, hand sewing needles
• paper scissors
• notebook, pen, A4 ring binder
• you must purchase a materials pack from the tutor at no more than £5
• paper and card are available for use in the classroom
• you will need to purchase a sewing machine bobbin from your tutor for £1, refundable at the end of the course
What you can do next
You can continue to attend further Embellishment courses, and also consider the wide range of specialised weekend courses, which include decorated vintage and period garments and accessories.
You might want to try one of the following:
Fabric Flowers for Fashion: Bud, Blooms and Organza
Beading for Bridal Wear
Tiaras and Headpieces for Weddings and Parties
Costume Design and Making: Tudor to Restoration
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.