Course Start DatesSunday 22nd March 2020
About the Course
Historically, soap was made from animal fat and something all farmers’ wives made to keep their family clean. Contemporary ingredients make soap making a creative skill. This one-day course will enable you to make gifts just in time for Christmas that will impress special friends and relatives.
What you will learn during the workshop;
• Examine the essential equipment used for cold process soap making:
• Discuss the characteristics of oils and fats used in cold process soap making;
• Follow health and safety procedures when working with lye;
• Experiment with essential/fragrance oils;
• Make a basic cold process batch of soap;
• Experiment with oxides and swirling techniques;
• Make a coloured cold process soap batch;
• Discuss the logistics of moulding and curing;
• Experiment with creative ideas for wrapping finished soaps.
Workshop Tutors: Gill Jones
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
At the end of this workshop, you will take home;
• A batch of fragranced soap without colour (approximately 10-12 bars),
• A batch of coloured and fragranced soap (approximately 10-12 bars).
The Rural Skills Centre will provide;
• All materials for the day are provided,
• Tea/Coffee and lunch,
• Accessible facilities.
Please bring or wear;
• Bath towels for wrapping your soaps
• Wear anything with long sleeves
• Full length trousers or skirt
• Closed toe footwear
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.