Clothes Making Beginners - Morley College - 11 Weeks On Campus
Contact course provider
About the Course
The course will provide you with a thorough introduction to the general principles and skills of clothes making and sewing, using a purchased pattern. A different garment type is taught each term: autumn - skirt; spring - top; summer - trouser, each involving different adjustments and methods of construction. Attending three terms of the course will build your knowledge and skills as you work on different garment types.
Progression to Intermediate level is possible but you must have achieved competence at using patterns and making simple garments.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
• to calculate the size of the pattern in relationship to body measurements
• to adjust the pattern to individual measurements using basic methods
• to use pattern lays, grainlines and selvedge correctly and follow pattern instruction sheets
• to select suitable fabrics
• to use machinery safely and correctly
• to construct the garment to a professional standard and finish
This is a Beginners Course. All are welcome.
• Suitable for people with limited or no previous experience
• Students must be able to speak, read and write in English
• Basic numeracy is an advantage though not essential
What you need to know before you enrol
• Working on patterns and cutting fabric can involve standing at high tables. Please let your tutor know if this is difficult for you.
• Sewing machines have a foot operated speed control.
• The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building and there is wheelchair access via a stair-lift.
• Please also note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios – no liquids at all are allowed.
What you will need for your class
• pen, notebook to make notes, folder and paper scissors
• tools will be discussed during the first lesson so for the second lesson, be prepared to bring: fabric scissors, trimming scissors, tape measure, dressmaker’s pins , needles etc
• at the start of the course, you will be required to buy the pattern for the project from the tutor at no more than £6
• you must provide your own fabrics, haberdashery, threads, etc. for use on your projects
• paper and card are available for use in the classroom
• you will need to purchase a machine bobbin from the tutor for £1, refundable at the end of the course
What you can do next
If this is your first term of the course, further terms of Clothes Making:
• Beginners are advised in order to lead to Intermediate/Advanced level courses.
• We recommend attendance on all three terms as this will amount to a thorough foundation in the subject. Once you have achieved a foundation of skills, we offer a wide range of further and specialist courses in garment construction and accessories.
You might want to try one of the following:
Vintage Style Bridal and Evening Wear
Designer Bags and Handbags
Tailoring Masterclass 1, 2 or 3
Hat Making for Stage and Screen: 30s and 40s
Follow the link to Morley College for details of:
• Course times
• Concession & Senior fees where available
*No classes on 12 Feb, 19 Feb and 2 April.*
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Teaching is both as a whole class and on an individual, one-to-one basis using lectures, demonstrations, examples, samples, handouts and any other technical support materials where appropriate.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.