Chair caning is a traditional craft dating back to the 1700s (in London). It is also an interesting and rewarding one. Let’s keep it going!
As a practicing chair-caner I would like to pass on the basic skills to a few other people based in Sussex and to assist them in progressing, with the right tools and training opportunities, to take on client projects.
These hands-on sessions cover how to get started with each stage.
Initially tools can be borrowed.
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 2 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
The sessions will be at your pace. The amount of 1.5 hourly sessions booked is up to you. The aim is to cover:
1. Choosing tools and materials
2. Considering the project chair and its existing weaving
3. Clearing the weaving
4. Weaving the six way standard pattern step-by-step
5. Pegging and finishing
6. Training materials to cover chair shapes and weaving patterns.
7. Suppliers of cane and tools & pricing for customers
The sessions will be customised to your pace and availability
2½ hours (flexible times to suit)