Chair caning is a traditional craft dating back to the 1700s (in London). It is also an interesting and rewarding one. Let’s keep it going!
As a practising chair-caner I would like to pass on the basic skills to a few other people.
This one-day session is at the Shoreham Centre, 2 Pond Road, Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, BN43 5WU
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 2 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
In this one-day session you will weave a traditional 6-way pattern on a practice frame. Tools can be borrowed and cane for this session is included.
We will talk about:
1. Choosing tools and materials
2. Weaving the six way standard pattern step-by-step
3. Pegging and finishing
4. Considering your project chair and its existing weaving.
The list of things to bring will be confirmed for each booking.
1. Bowl about 8”/20cms in diameter
2. Small towel or cloth
3. Box of cotton buds
4. Sharp wire cutters or toenail scissors
5. A simple chair (we can discuss in advance)
6. Small hammer or leather hammer/mallet
7. 4cm allen key, and
8. A dust mask
9. Shell bodkin (supplier info. provided)
10. Chair cane (advice & supplier info. provided)
5½ hours (10:00am to 3:30pm)
The course doesn’t currently have live datesContact the tutor for more information