Course Start DatesMonday 29th June 2020
About the Course
Does the world of carpentry feel like one big mystery? Do you want to be able to use tools with confidence? Whether you’ve never touched a saw in your life or you want to improve your range of DIY skills, this course is a fun, relaxed way to learn basic carpentry techniques while building a beautiful and functional shed, workshop, art space or garden getaway.
On this course you will:
• Build a shed form start to finish
• Become familiar with safe and efficient ways to use battery powered tools and hand tools including sawing accurately along a line
• Learn how to mark and measure basic carpentry joints
• Learn how to hang a door
• Discover what you need in a basic tool kit to carry out carpentry jobs at home
• Learn how to source timber and decide which wood to use for different jobs
• Learn about siting a shed in your garden
This course is designed for people who are absolute beginners in carpentry – no previous experience is necessary. It aims to provide a safe, welcoming and fun environment to build confidence in practical skills that will be useful for a range of home projects.
The shed will be available for one of the participants to purchase at the end of the course.
The tutor for this course is Emma Appleton, a carpenter, maker of Tiny Houses and natural builder.
Nestled in the foothills of Snowdonia, the Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) is a world-renowned eco centre that researches and supports greener ways of living.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Tuition, all materials, and full board shared accommodation. Single accommodation is available for an additional £80.