Course Start DatesTuesday 5th May 2020
About the Course
Explore using natural building materials and begin to develop the skills needed to build your own outhouse, garden retreat or even extend or build your own home. Whatever your grand design, this practical course can help put some of those ideas into focus, pick up new skills and learn the tricks of the trade from an experienced builder and Master Carpenter.
This course is a great introduction to learning a whole host of natural building techniques in a unique, supportive and inspiring environment. The course will cover:
• The practicals and theory of groundworks and foundations
• How to mark out, measure and cut timber accurately
• Building sections so you gain experience in timber framing, strawbale, hempcrete, rammed earth and earth plastering
• Making a section of roofing using pre-cut rafters
• Use felt and batons to help insulate the structure
• Learning how to install slate on a small area of the roof
Your tutor Carwyn Lloyd Jones has over 20 years’ experience in the construction industry and is an expert in timber framing. Carwyn and his designs have starred in George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces and Cabins in the Wild; the Build a Tiny House course that he teaches at CAT has been featured in The Guardian.
Nestled in the foothills of Snowdonia, the Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) is a world-renowned eco centre that researches and supports greener ways of living.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Tuition, all materials, and full board shared accommodation. Single accommodation is available for an additional £80.