Botanical casting course with Tutor Rachel Hutton
This one day course will teach you how to design and make botanical casts and prints using flora and fauna from the woodlands.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
• selecting suitable plant materials, when to harvest and how to store/use
• what plants/seed heads print well and what don’t
• how to create depth
• suitable moulding material, storage and where to source from
• how to create multiple casts from the same mould
• missing casting media, timings for mixing, pouring’s and curing times
• how to create hanging fixings
• finishing techniques
• PPE (personal protective equipment) selection and use
• health and safety related to botanical printing
You will make a number of casts/prints on the day using taught techniques. These will be different shapes and sizes and incorporate a range of plant material, patterns and textures
At Ecclesall Woods we pride ourselves on the high quality teaching from our tutors and our low class numbers (max 5 for most classes) and a number of our courses also have an assistant.
We have found that smaller class sizes are more productive, un-rushed and allow students to learn more
You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season. Please note this course will require a good level of manual dexterity on your fingers and requires some degree of standing. You will need to bring a wipe clean apron, wear covered shoes and have clothing which covers your arms
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 4 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
Please bring a packed lunch.
This craft course provider has been awarded Platinum status for receiving 50 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.
1 day (9:30am to 4:00pm)
The course doesn’t currently have live datesContact the tutor for more information