Bookmaking: a woodland inspired Coptic Bound Journal making workshop with Rachel Hutton.
This one day course will make a beautiful Coptic bound (that’s the style of stitching) journal from scratch.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
• how to select papers and work with grain
• how to form signatures
• how to use a fid
• how to work safely with knives, cutting mats and rules
• tools and equipment use related to basic bookmaking
• Coptic stitching and kettle stitch
• decorative stitch techniques
• types of thread and their uses
• types of ribbon and their uses
• types of glues and their uses
• sourcing materials and tools
• PPE (personal protective equipment) selection and use
• health and safety related to bookmaking
At Ecclesall Woods we pride ourselves on the high quality teaching from our tutors and our low class numbers (max 5 for most classes) and a number of our courses also have an assistant.
We have found that smaller class sizes are more productive, un-rushed and allow students to learn more.
You will need to wear suitable clothing and covered toe footwear for working outdoors in this season.
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 4 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
Please let us know if you have any specific requirements or needs. All materials and tool use are provided for you on the day. Refreshments and biscuits throughout the course. Please bring a packed lunch, notebook and pen and wear suitable clothes and footwear for working outdoors.
This craft course provider has been awarded Platinum status for receiving 50 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.