About the Course
Beginners 6 Week Evening Course in Soft Furnishings which will cover all the basic skills required to start making your own cushions, curtains and Roman blinds at home. Attendees have fun, enjoy the learning as well as the social aspect of meeting each week and are amazed at what they can achieve in just 6 short weeks.
Dates For 2019:
Thurs 10th Jan (17th Jan, 24th Jan, 31st Jan, 7th Feb, 14th Feb) 2019
Thurs 21st Feb ( 28th Feb, 7th Mar, 14th Mar, 21st Mar, 28th Mar) 2019
Our courses run for 6 consecutive weeks in Worcestershire School term times (excluding Bank Holidays, where possible):
Time: 11am - 1pm or 6.30pm – 9.30pm (6 x 3hr workshops)
Venue: Stitch & Steele, Warndon Villages WR4 0EN (full address on booking confirmation)
Skill Level: Complete Beginner
This is a progressive skills course of 6 workshops covering key sewing techniques which are key to success in sewing and making soft furnishings.
This is designed for people who have little or no sewing experience at all – you will learn how to use your sewing machine as part of the course.
As the weeks progress, you will find you have improved your sewing skills and your ability to tackle new projects.
What You Will Learn:
wk 1: How To Use Your Sewing Machine
- How to set up and thread a sewing machine
- Getting to grips with stitching – tips for straight lines, curves and corners
- Different stitch types: straight, zig-zag, button-holing
- Feet attachments – what you have and ones you should buy, what they do and the projects you will need them on
- How to check sewing tension and adjusting it
- Identifying common problems with your sewing machine and fixing them
- Tips on getting into sewing – easy project ideas, essential tools and how to choose a sewing machine
wk 2: All About Fabrics For Soft Furnishings
- Overview of various fabric types & their construction
- Choosing the right kind of fabric for your project and where to buy fabrics & haberdashery from locally and online
- Inserting zips and making butonholes
- Applique techniques
- How to finish items with piping
wk 3: Cushions
Using the skills learned so far, you will practice these by making your sample cushion choosing from either a zip cushion or envelope cushion
You will get to use a stencil making and fabric cutting machine for applique designs if you wish to apply to your cushion designs.
wk 4: Make Your Own Curtains
- Overview of different curtain tracks & curtain pole types
- Learn how to measure your windows and estimate fabric required
- Learn the different types of curtain headers – pencil pleat, eyelet, tabbed top, pinch pleat and make samples of each
- Learn how to make and attach curtain linings
- Make your choice of Eyelet or Pencil Pleat curtain sample
wk 5: Make Your Own Roman Blinds
- How to measure your window for Roman Blinds & calculate fabric
- Safety considerations for fitting Roman Blinds in bedrooms which children can access and where to buy British Safety -
- Standard approved pre-made tape kits
- How to sew your Roman Blind and fittings kit together
- Make a sample Roman Blind to take home with you to enable you to make your own at home
wk 6: Finishing Your Projects
As this is the final week, you can finish any projects you haven’t managed to finish during the course or try your hand at something new to finish at home.
What To Bring With You:
Bring your own sewing machine if you have one, or you can use one of our brand new Janome sewing machines. There is a £10 hire fee to use one of our sewing machines for this workshop. You will need to do this when you book onto this workshop.
You will need to bring a simple sewing kit of scissors, (hand) sewing needles, pins, some sewing cottons and some spare bobbins to wind cotton onto.
NB: if you are bringing your own sewing machine, don’t forget the instruction manual and power cable plus any attachments you will need.
You will get an email each week with the instructions for what to bring with you the following week as we progress.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Unlimited tea/coffee and biscuits
A copy of a Dorling Kindersley hardback book (for you to keep) including all the projects on the course and loads of other useful projects like loose covers for chairs, child's teepee, headboard recovering
Absolutely brilliant and well taught course. Everything I needed to know - I was a complete newbie and had never used a sewing machine before.
Fiona was extremely patient and gave me loads of confidence to tackle projects at home after the course finished too.
Would highly recommend to anyone who wants to learn how to make their own soft furnishings.
Thanks so much!
Caley Howie - - #17923
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.