About the Course
Courses run monthly in the summer from Saturday to Sunday, 10 am to 4.30 pm.
For course availability please get in touch.
Deposit to reserve a place - £50 per person. (Balance 6 weeks before course.)
The course tutor is Charles Millar. Having escaped the corporate world he is now a freelance management consultant and apostle for the joys of beekeeping.. He has been keeping bees with great enthusiasm for 12 years., and has been a bee inspector for the last 4 years.
The course combines practical beekeeping with relevant theory. We avoid lengthy ‘classroom’ sessions. You will spend several hours (at least half the time) actually working with the bees, in pairs or on your own. And always with expert advice at hand.
* Inspecting the colony and finding the queen – there are at least 12 hives in our apiary for you to practise on.
* Keeping your bees healthy
* Preventing swarms
* Where to keep your bees, with tips on urban beekeeping and small gardens
* Getting your bees - including how to catch a swarm.
* Equipment – what to buy, including a workshop on making up frames and hives
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
If you bring a friend you will save £200. It's normally £650 for 2 but now £450. Bed and Breakfast accommodation is available at the Long Mynd Hotel - £50 per person per night, inc VAT. This can be booked via us - just let us know.
Included in the fee is:
* The use of protective equipment – bee suits, and gloves.
* Excellent lunch and ad-lib tea and cakes on each day. (Special diets catered for.)
* ‘What to do and when’ notes to take away
* Free, email and telephone support from us once you get your bees.
Course dates are flexible; please get in touch for the next available date.