Bee related cosmetic making course with tutor Rachel Hutton
This one day course will explore the use of a variety of bee related products for cosmetics and household items. We will be using some products harvested from our own bees here at Ecclesall Woods. You will take home a number of different items based on the season you attend the course.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
• how to select, harvest, dry/prepare and store materials/seasonal availability and working with the seasons
• how to infuse oils
• use of essential oils, fragrance oils and flavour oils
• types and colours of beeswax and their uses
• how to adapt and change recipes to suit individual needs (e.g.: vegans, nut intolerances, etc.)
• where to buy ingredients and responsible sourcing of them
• packaging options and shelf life
• how to make a range of seasonally appropriate cosmetic/household products which may include some of the following:
• glycerine soaps and liquid soaps
• cold process soaps
• shampoo and conditioner bars
• balms and body/lip butters/salves
• men’s grooming products
• room scenters/purifiers
• beeswax melts
• wood board and spoon butters
• poured, rolled and dipped candles and luminaires
• conditioner and massage bars
• wood waxes and polishes
• dubbin/leather conditioners
• PPE (personal protective equipment) selection and use
• health and safety related to making beauty/household products
You will need to bring a wipe clean apron, wear covered shoes and have clothing which covers your arms. Please be aware that this course will use Citrol and should not be attended by those with a Citrol allergy.
At Ecclesall Woods we pride ourselves on the high quality teaching from our tutors and our low class numbers (max 5 for most classes) and a number of our courses also have an assistant.
We have found that smaller class sizes are more productive, un-rushed and allow students to learn more.
You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season.
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 4 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
All materials and tool use are provided for you on the day.
Refreshments and biscuits throughout the course.
Please bring a packed lunch, notebook and pen. PPE is available where applicable.
This craft course provider has been awarded Platinum status for receiving 50 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.