What is a capsule wardrobe? In this online sewing course, you will learn how to design and sew your own t-shirts, dresses, jumpers, hoodies, and relaxed trousers (anything you see in the pictures here).
This bundle course is a perfect introduction to fashion design. You will learn how to make simple patterns based on your own personal measurements, which means that EVERYBODY will make garments for their size! Once purchased, the course is available for life - we don't put any time restrictions, as we understand that everyone is learning at their own pace. All the high-quality, pre-recorded videos can be watched as many times as needed from the comfort of your own home!
FREE bonus: Sewing machine crash course (worth £20) and downloadable PDF workbook included!
The aim of the course is to give you an understanding of how patterns are made, how they can be adjusted, played around with, and to build up your confidence. Sewing and design is fun and I will show you how to make garments step by step, but it is on you to get creative and experiment!
READYMADE PATTERNS ARE NOT INCLUDED: the goal of the course is to teach you the basic principles of making your own patterns! Once you learn this, you'll realise that you don't need ready-made patterns.
It really is a 'lightbulb' moment!
If you have any questions or concerns, please send me a message first. There are no refunds after you have taken the course.
If you'd like to purchase a single module only (£45), please check our "Learn to sew" short courses.
65 online pre-recorded video lessons - watch it at any time.
The contents of the Capsule wardrobe course:
Welcome to the course
MODULE 1: TOPS & T-SHIRTS
• Learn to draft your first simple top pattern
• Learn to alter this pattern and create new designs
• Learn three ways to finish with the neckline
• Learn to work with stretchy fabrics
• Learn to work with cotton
• Learn to make a T-shirt from jersey fabric
• Learn to make a cotton top
MODULE II: JUMPERS
• Learn about the best fabrics to make a jumper
• Learn to design a pattern with sleeves
• Learn to design and make turtle-necks
• Learn to make a jumper step by step
• Learn to make jumpers for any size: design comfy clothes for yourself and your family
MODULE III: DRESSES
• Learn to draft a simple dress pattern
• Learn to design different neckline shapes
• Learn to make ruffles & ruffle-like elements
• Learn to design different types of simple dresses
• Learn to make a T-shirt dress
• Learn to make a dress from two different colours
• Learn to work with limited fabric supply
MODULE IV: HOODY & HOODY DRESS
• Learn to draft the best hood pattern
• Learn to make the comfiest hood
• Learn about fabrics used for hoodies
• Learn to make a double-sided hood
• Learn to make lace for a hood
• Learn to make cuffs
• Learn to make puffy sleeves
• Learn to make a hoodie
• Learn to make a hoodie dress
MODULE V: TROUSERS
• Learn how trousers are made
• Learn to draft a basic trousers pattern based on your measurements
• Learn to make deep pockets for your trousers
• Learn to work with linen
• Learn to make an elasticated belt with ties
• Learn to make folded hems
• Learn to make wide trousers
• Learn to make shorts
2 booklets - one for web, one for print. All the information from the courses summed up in beautiful graphics. If you need to come back to something, you don't need to scroll the videos - just flip a page :)
Sewing machine, fabrics of your choice, iron, measuring tape, tracing paper or a4 paper & tape, pencil, tailor's chalk or marker, pins & needles.
This course is taught online
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.
996 items available
The course teaches mainly how to draft your own patterns instead of buying shop bought patterns, just working with what you have around at home. I absolutely love the concept! I’ve never drafted my own patterns really before, I did one course when I was a teenager but apart from that I’ve never done that. And it’s really really easy! I really loved the course, completely took the fear out of pattern drafting for me!
Response from Studio Arkdefo LLP:Thank you so much for this! This is exactly what we are working so hard on - to demystify the patternmaking! So happy you enjoyed the course!