About the Course
Set in the picturesque wooded valley of Lamorna in West Cornwall, and only a 10 minute walk to the coast & Lamorna Cove, this 5 day Art Holiday allows time to create a beautiful piece of sculpture for your garden whilst enjoying the relaxing surroundings of the Lamorna area, which is steeped in art history.
Be inspired by the woodland setting with the babbling stream running through the valley down to the sea at Lamorna Cove. The woodland is a haven for a wide variety of birds & wildlife - buzzard, robins, seagulls, wrens, & various members of the tit & finch family are regularly seen flying overhead whilst a very cheeky squirrel often makes an appearance in a nearby tree or runs across the decking area of the venue.
Over the 5 day course, we will create at least one sculpture for your garden using Powertex sculpting medium, recycled textiles & mixed media. Individuals will be able to work at their own pace under the expert tuition of certified Powertex Tutor Liz Dixon. Students will be able to create a woodland animal of their choice & will learn a range of techniques including:
- Simple armature building using everyday materials
- Using Powertex universal medium
- Choice of suitable materials for sculpting
- Exploration & creation of texture
- Mixing air-drying clay
- Mixing pigments
- Dry brushing techniques
Other techniques may also be covered as appropriate to the creation of the individual sculptures.
Lunch will be provided during the course by White Radish catering. All their ingredients are locally sourced or grown & the food is prepared in their kitchens just a few miles from Lamorna Cove. They will deliver lunch daily to the venue. It is envisaged that this will include homemade soup of the day & artisan bread. Please inform us of any dietary requirements at the time of booking so that we can accommodate this.
Also included within the course is a trip to Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens. Situated in a sheltered valley not far from Penzance, dramatic planting provides a backdrop for some inspirational works of art, including pieces by renowned artists such as James Turrell & David Nash. The gardens also provide some stunning views across Mounts Bay & St Michael's Mount. NOTE: Due to the steep nature of the gardens in places, this trip is unfortunately not accessible for wheelchairs or mobility scooters.
There is a lovely cafe within the grounds of Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens where students will be able to purchase lunch during the visit at an additional cost, & also a gallery housing smaller works of art.
Venue: Valley View, Lamorna, Cornwall (parkng at Lamorna Village Hall)
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Included in the cost:
- 4 days 'hands on' art course with expert tuition (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday) 10am - 4pm daily
- All materials used during the course
- Locally sourced lunch for 4 days (please let us know any dietary requirements at time of booking)
- Entry to Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens, near Penzance (Wednesday)
- Gloves & aprons
- Information sheets
- Accommodation during your stay - there are a number of self catering apartments & holiday lets within Lamorna, or for those that prefer to be nearer to more restaurants & pubs in the evening, then nearby Newlyn (2.5 miles) or Penzance (5 miles) offer a large selection of accommodation to suit all budgets.
- Transport to & from Valley View & Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens - students are responsible for their own transport arrangements from their chosen accommodation to the art workshop venue & to the sculpture gardens, which are all located with in a 5 mile radius of Penzance.
- Lunch during visit to Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens - available to purchase at Tremenheere Kitchen, or bring a packed lunch.
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.