Alternative Pattern Cutting Using Simple Geometric Shapes – Morley College – 2 Weeks On Campus
Contact course provider
About the Course
This course is an ideal opportunity for you to learn some basic pattern cutting skills and to complete simple patterns to your size. In the studio there will be a number of clothing samples for you to study, and you will learn how to draft the patterns of your choice. Not only will you study basic geometric shapes and how these work with the body, but also about grain line and other terminology. Whatever your preference be it menswear, womenswear, gender neutral or childrenswear, this course will benefit you. By the end of the day you will take home at least one completed pattern to your size. The course is suitable for anyone with an interest in making patterns for clothes. No previous experience is required
By the end of the course you will be able to:
• to use pattern cutting tools
• to use simple pattern making techniques
• to identify and use the basic terminology of flat pattern cutting
• to create patterns for tops using simple but effective methods
• take home a completed pattern to your own size
This is a Beginners Course. All are welcome.
• Suitable for people with limited or no previous experience
• Students must be able to speak, read and write in English
• Basic numeracy is essential
What you need to know before you enrol
• This course is very intensive; punctuality and good attendance are necessary.
• Working on patterns and cutting fabric can involve standing at high tables. Please let your tutor know if this is difficult for you.
• Sewing machines have a foot operated speed control.
• The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building and there is wheelchair access via a stair-lift.
• Please also note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios – no liquids at all are allowed.
What you will need for your class
You will need to bring:
• paper scissors
• a basic sewing kit: fabric scissors, pins, tape measure, sewing thread
• notepad and 2/3 colour pens, HB pencil, sharpener, eraser and A4 file to keep hand-outs
Provided in the class:
• some pattern cutting tools for use in the studio
• paper and card are available for use in the studio
• calico for toiling is available at cost price from your tutor
• you will need to purchase a sewing machine bobbin from your tutor for £1, refundable at the end of the course
What you can do next
We run a variety of specialist courses, as well as other courses which might be of interest, including clothes making and pattern cutting.
You might want to try one of the following:
• Pattern Cutting: Beginners for Womenswear
• Draping on the Stand
• Introduction to Childrenswear
• Contemporary Millinery
Follow the link to Morley College for details of:
• Course times
• Concession & Senior fees where available
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
After examining and discussing examples and samples, the tutor will discuss suitable materials and pattern shapes and use demonstrations of appropriate cutting and construction methods.
You will be able to develop a pattern and handouts and other printed materials will be used as support for design and skill development. Teaching will be in groups and on an individual, one-to-one basis and you will be encouraged to develop your creativity.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.